Buffalo, New York Periodontal Disease Treatment
At Stellar Dental Care, we strive to ensure that every patient we see achieves a lifetime of dental health. If you have periodontal disease, we can help treat it. Our experienced and knowledgeable team helps treat mild to moderate cases with high-quality care.
Looking for gum disease treatment in Buffalo, New York? Stellar Dental Care is here to help.
Request an appointment
What Is Periodontal Disease and How Is It Identified?
Periodontal disease is an infection of the tissues that hold your teeth together. Some common symptoms of this disease include:
- Bad breath
- Swollen and bleeding gums
- Pain when chewing
- Loose and sensitive teeth
- Receding gums
Periodontal disease typically starts with the formation of plaque caused by food and bacteria in your mouth. When this plaque mixes with the saliva in your mouth, it hardens to tarter. Tarter contains bacteria and will irritate your gums and release poisonous toxins causing infections.
At Stellar Dental Care, we will examine you and identify any concerns for mild or moderate cases. The maintenance varies depending on the severity of your case. We treat cases with pocket sizes of 4mm and under. If a case becomes too severe and has constant 7mm pockets, we will refer you to more specialized professionals.
Our Buffalo, NY Periodontitis Treatment
When it comes to mild to moderate periodontal maintenance, the disease is often treated successfully. Learn how we treat mild to moderate cases and what you need to know if your case is more severe.
One common way of treating periodontal disease is through scaling and root planning. This process entails:
- Removing deposits from the crown and root surfaces of the teeth
- Scaling and root planning is implemented to remove as much plaque and tarter buildup as possible and destroy the bacteria
- The number of visits depends on the severity of your case
- The deep cleaning can be completed manually, with an ultra-sonic instrument, or both
Another way we treat periodontitis is mild to moderate periodontal maintenance. Some key things to note about this maintenance include:
- True maintenance follows scaling and root planning
- The goal of maintenance is to remove damaged tissue from the sulcular areas of attached and non-attached plaque
- Typically, patients are seen every three months for this maintenance, but that varies based on dentist recommendations
- With periodontal maintenance, you are working to control the disease
Not going through periodontal treatment could be very detrimental to your dental health. Mild to moderate periodontal maintenance, scaling, and root planning treatments are available at Stellar Dental Care!
If your case becomes more severe, we will refer you to a periodontist.
Who Is at Risk for Periodontitis?
There are various factors that affect your gum health, including:
- Age – As you age, the risk of periodontitis increases.
- Smoking/tobacco use – Tobacco users are at an increased risk for periodontal disease. It is one of the most significant factors in the progression of this disease.
- Genetics – Despite your oral habits, some individuals are more susceptible than others to gum disease.
- Poor nutrition – When your immune system is compromised due to poor nutrition habits, your ability to fight off infection is less likely. Because this disease starts with infection, lack of quality nutrition could worsen the condition.
It is important to note that there are insurance differences when it comes to regular cleanings and periodontitis treatments. Most dental coverage comes in categories which determine the cost: preventative, basic, and major.
- Preventative – These are regular cleanings and preventative care procedures. Most dental insurance plans will cover these 100%.
- Basic – Extractions, cavity fillings, and scaling and root planning are all basic procedures. Most of these are covered under insurance plans, but for about 60-80%.
- Major – Bridges, crowns, oral surgery, and dentures are classified as major services. These require some out-of-pocket cost and are covered about 50% by insurance.
Contact Us Today with Any Questions About Our Buffalo Periodontal Treatment
Are you in need of periodontitis treatment? Our team at Stellar Dental Care is here to help you. Reach out to us today with any questions or concerns!