Stellar Dental Care Is Your Go-to Buffalo Frenectomy Dentist
Does your child have impacted speech or issues with swallowing and eating? They could have tongue-tie and you may need a frenectomy dentist. Frenectomies are routine procedures, and our team is dedicated to helping you receive the best treatment.
Let Stellar Dental guide you through everything you need to know!
What Is Frenectomy?
A frenectomy procedure is when a dentist goes in to remove the connective tissue, called the frenum, on either the top or bottom of the mouth. This is typically done under the tongue or the upper gums. The types of pediatric frenectomy procedures include:
- Lingual frenectomy – This procedure involves removing the tissue that connects the underside of the tongue to the floor of the mouth. A lingual frenectomy is done to correct ankyloglossia, also known as “tongue-tie.”
- Tongue-tie is when a child has a short, thick frenum that limits the tongue’s capacity to move. This can lead to infants having difficulty breastfeeding and older children having trouble with speech and eating. Left untreated, children end up compensating for the lack of mobility, resulting in other orthodontic issues.
- Maxillary frenectomy – Maxillary frenectomy is the process of removing the piece of tissue connecting the upper gums to the front of the teeth, also known as “lip-tie.” Everyone has this connective tissue, but most issues are seen in infants with extremely large or tight tissue.
- Newborns will have issues with breastfeeding if they are unable to flare or curl their lips. Older children and adults may see their front teeth split apart and will require orthodontic treatment.
Overall, the frenum has no distinct purpose, so removing it will cause no loss of function within the mouth.
When Is a Buffalo Tongue-Tie Dentist Needed?
Some children have large frenums that can prevent them from moving their tongue freely. A few key indicators that a child is in need of pediatric frenectomy include:
- Difficulty nursing, breastfeeding, or feeding from a bottle
- Speech is affected
- Inability to extend the tongue
- Difficulty swallowing and eating
- Spacing between upper front teeth
- Gum recession
If your child is experiencing the above symptoms, be sure to contact our Buffalo, New York frenectomy dentist. Our dentists are adept at working with children and will put them at ease through their dental procedures.
And since these same issues can affect adults, feel free to get in touch with us if you would like an examination for yourself to assess any problems of your own.
About Our Pediatric Dentist for Tongue-Tie
At Stellar Dental Care, our team is here to help children with their dental needs. We have created a whole wing in the Union Road office dedicated to pediatric dentistry. For each child, we have private rooms to make them feel comfortable alone by including bright colors and kid-friendly areas.
Stellar Dental Care is your go-to resource for all your dental care needs. In addition to pediatric frenectomy, the other services we provide include:
Our team at Stellar Dental consists of experienced dentists who offer the highest quality of care with each dental procedure or cleaning. Choose us for your dental needs.