Call Us Today! 716-219-2553
Your Trusted Buffalo Orthodontists
As a parent, you want the best for your child. That includes healthy teeth and a pleasing smile. The best place to start, of course, is with regular dental care. The American Dental Association recommends that a child visit the dentist by his or her first birthday, while baby (primary) teeth are emerging. This will put them on the right course to a lifetime of dental health!
During appointments, your dentist can alert you to any concerns about how your child’s teeth and jaws are developing. But sometimes, parents are the first to recognize a problem with the alignment of teeth and jaws. This is where an orthodontic treatment may come into play.
All Kids Should Get a Check-up with an Orthodontist as Early as Age 7-1⁄2
To have a healthy Stellar Smile, your child needs teeth and jaws that are properly aligned. We recommend that your child get a check-up with a kids’ orthodontist at the first recognition of the existence of an orthodontic problem, as early as age 7-1⁄2.
By then, your child has enough permanent teeth for an orthodontist to determine whether an orthodontic problem exists or is developing. Some of the possible warning signs you may notice beforehand include:
- An early or late loss of baby teeth
- Trouble with biting or chewing
- A predilection to breathe though the mouth
- Thumb sucking
- Teeth that are crowded, misplaced, or blocked-out
- A jaw that advances too far forward or recedes too far back
- Biting of the cheek or the roof of the mouth
- Teeth that are protruding
- Teeth that meet in an unusual way, or do not meet
- An unbalanced facial appearance
- Grinding or clenching
An early check-up gives your orthodontist the opportunity to recommend the appropriate treatment at the appropriate time. If early treatment is in order, the orthodontist may be able to achieve results that might not be possible once the face and jaws have finished growing.
Essential Orthodontic Treatment Questions
Five key questions will be addressed during an appointment:
- Does an orthodontic problem exist, and what is the nature of it?
- What are the best options to correct the issue?
- Will teeth need to be removed?
- How long will the treatment be expected to take?
- How much will the treatment cost?
Once your child’s needs have been assessed by our Buffalo children’s orthodontist, your doctor will determine whether kids’ braces or another approach is needed to take the necessary corrective steps.
The Best Orthodontists in Buffalo Deliver More Than a Great Smile
The importance of a nice smile should never be underestimated. Your Stellar Dental Care adult and pediatric orthodontist in Buffalo has another equally important treatment goal, and that is to improve the health of your teeth and gums. Crooked teeth can seriously affect general oral health and mask skeletal irregularities.
For more information about all of our services and offerings, and to schedule an appointment, contact our individual offices nearest you:
- McKinley Parkway – Hamburg, NY
- Sheridan Drive – Tonawanda, NY
- Union Road – Cheektowaga, NY
- French Road – Cheektowaga, NY
- Transit Road – Williamsville, NY
Additionally, you can find more information in our orthodontics brochure below. You can also call our orthodontics specialist office at 716.651.0099 to set up an appointment to see if orthodontics might be right for you.